[Xastir] DBFAWK and map symbols

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri May 23 13:20:11 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 11:38:04AM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <n8fau15 at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> It took a while, but I'm now making dbfawk files of my own.
>
> I saw in the file #   symbol  - 3 char 'TIO': table, ID, overlay
>
> So far I've not found any info on this function... I'm hoping it's a way
> to display Interstate/US Hwy/State Hwy symbols with the numbers as the
> overlay....  Reading the names on the map is a bit tricky when on the road.

No, it's not.  There is currently no way to symbolize roads using standard
highway symbols in xastir.

If you set "symbol" in a dbfawk rule, it allows a point feature (and only
a point feature) to be symbolized by standard APRS symbols like the ones
you can give to your station or to objects/items.  Table, ID and overlay
are the character's you'd transmit in your posit (e.g. "/- " for a house,
or "\#S" for a new n-N paradigm digipeater).

That field is typically used when you generate hand-rolled point shapefiles
and want to symbolize them somehow (see README.MAPS for an example of how
to do it).

 "It's so simple to be wise: just think of something stupid to say and
  then don't say it."  --- Sam Levinson