[Xastir] DBFAWK and map symbols

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri May 23 13:40:34 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 01:34:47PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <bwebster at wirelessmapping.com> flavor, containing:
> Is there any way to get a file created so it displays the same as the on
> line tiger maps do within Xastir? That format looks great to me and I would
> love to duplicate it with local tiger files.

Not really.  The closest we can get is with the TGR2006_SE data and the dbfawk
files we already have (or to tweak them a little bit to improve rendering
style).

To render precisely like the on-line tiger maps would require a different
rendering engine, which is not a simple thing to do -- Xastir pretty much
just uses X11 drawing primitives to render vector maps, and it would be a major
rewrite of xastir to get it to render maps closer to the way various on-line
mapping sites do.  All we can do is mimic color schemes and line styles
as best we can, which is what the existing dbfawk files do.

There is a growing number of open-source map rendering libraries out there,
but to adapt xastir to use them would practically require a complete
rewrite of xastir.  Xastir's rendering is pretty deeply hard-wired.