[Xastir] DBFAWK and map symbols

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri May 23 20:58:55 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 08:55:12PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net> flavor, containing:
> What is the location of the newer TIGER 2007 data? The wiki
> http://www.xastir.org/wiki/index.php/HowTo:MAPS#TIGER.2FLine_shapefiles
> does not mention it.

It's on the US Census site.  The Census is no longer distributing data in
the old TIGER format, and is doing shapefiles now.  So far I've heard
unimpressive things about the data quality (lots of missing data) so I've
ignored it.

The location of the TIGER data is in README.MAPS:

 http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/index.html

Nobody's bothered to update the Wiki since the 2007 shapefiles were posted.

> On Fri, May 23, 2008 8:24 pm, Tom Russo wrote:
> > Yes, your dbfawk files mimic that style with the newer TIGER 2007 data, and
> > the existing files mimic them with the older 2006_SE data.  But there is
> > no way to make a dbfawk file that "displays the same as the online tiger maps"
> > because that requires a new rendering engine.

 "It's so simple to be wise: just think of something stupid to say and
  then don't say it."  --- Sam Levinson