[Xastir] Map Load Speed

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sat May 24 00:22:09 EDT 2008

On Fri, 23 May 2008, Tom Russo wrote:

> To speed up rendering at high zoom levels, you'll have to create multiple
> shapefiles with only features that are meant to render at close zooms, and
> then exclude those shapefiles from being loaded at high zooms by using the map
> properties.

There's another method that's a lot less work, but also much less
flexible/desirable:

Zoom way out, get the size of image you want, then create a snapshot
of it.  Save the snapshot and the .GEO file that matches it under
new filenames.  Set that map up to display when you're zoomed out,
and the Shapefiles to display when zoomed in.

You can of course modify this technique to multiple snapshots for
multiple zoom levels, and panning left/right/up/down to create
additional snapshots at each zoom.

When zoomed out this will have the same advantages and disadvantages
as other raster-format images, but when zoomed in you have the full
capability of vector files.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer