[Xastir] custom Ubuntu Live CD on maxterm

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 18:01:08 EDT 2009

On 4/7/09, Jason KG4WSV <kg4wsv at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is mostly OT, but I am trying to get a box going to run xastir so
> I'll inflict the question on the group.
>
> Got a maxterm box, little VIA chipset ITX mobo, 512mb, CF over IDE for
> a hard drive, 12V input, cheap on ebay, with intentions of making it a
> mobile rig.
>
> Installed DSL on a thumb drive, runs no problem.  Installed DSL on new
> 8gb CF card, boots and runs no problem.  Would rather do an install
> than a live boot (DSL is a live type boot), and about that time the
> xubuntu live with install capability pops up here, sounds like just
> the ticket, so off I go.  Check out the USB CDROM from work, set the
> bios to boot from "USB-CDROM", come to a screeching halt.
>
> I can boot a memory check util from the xubuntu cdrom but can't get
> anything else to boot.  Tried 3 different copies of the Xubuntu disk
> (verified burns, checked md5sum after download).  Tried a centOS 5.2
> network install CDROM (use it at work, no problems, so give it a try)
> but still no luck.
>
> In all cases, boot process will start, looks good, but errors out,
> locks up, or resets and starts booting again.
>
> Memory check util says RAM is OK.
>
> Any clues or suggestions? (other than stick with my original plan of
> "get a mac mini")

Hmm, maybe try a utility like unetbootin to transfer the xubuntu live
iso to a usb stick.  Then boot live from the usb stick thus bypassing
the usb CDROM drive.  If that works, then you could install it from
there onto whatever media is the target.  I've booted the live Xubuntu
package from a usb stick on several computers now.

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX