[Xastir] Maps on an external hard driven

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Apr 9 09:53:27 EDT 2009

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 8:05 AM, Keith Kaiser <wa0tjt at gmail.com> wrote:
>> How do I tell Xastir to use maps that I have on an external hard drive
>> instead of in the usual /usr/local/share/xastir/maps/ directory?
>>
>> Lets say they are located;   /Volumes/HD/xastir/maps/
>
> cd /usr/local/share/xastir/maps
> ln -s /Volumes/HD/xastir/maps/* .

The above will make multiple symlinks in the maps directory.

Or:  cd /usr/local/share/xastir/maps
      ln -s /Volumes/HD/xastir/maps EXTERNAL

Which will make one symlink in xastir/maps called EXTERNAL which
will point off to the external hard drive.  Name it anything you
want, EXTERNAL is only an example.

Note also that you can make subdirectories in the
/usr/local/share/xastir/maps/ directory at will.  I have a large
tree of subdirectories there.  Just make sure that a normal user can
change into those directories and read the contents (permissions
and/or ownership).

I have a symlink at /usr/local/share called "xastir" which points
off into my /home/<user>/src directory somewhere, so my entire
Xastir install goes off to somewhere else when I do a "make
install".

Two reasons:  1) I had more room there at one time, and 2) if I
choose to make separate ROOT and HOME partitions then I can waste
the OS and rebuild, I can keep all of my maps and FCC/RAC/weather
alert files intact.  All I need is another symlink later.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer