[Xastir] GNIS data

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Apr 10 20:52:34 EDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 08:49:20PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net> flavor, containing:
> I noticed that someone recently checked-in a change to the map_gnis.c file in
> the project. Does this update make it work with the new format of the files?
> Where can one fetch the latest GNIS data?

Jerry did update the code in map_gnis, but since the new format files lack
population data, and Xastir uses the population field to filter small towns and
villages from high zoom-level views, you might not like how they look.

I haven't updated the code since before those changes --- do they maintain
the ability to use old format GNIS data?  The old format files are still
archived at aprs.tamu.edu

Jerry also updated the script that fetches GNIS files, so it probably has the
right paths to get the data.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation