[Xastir] GNIS data

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Apr 11 01:44:33 EDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 10:21:30PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kf4lvz at yahoo.com> flavor, containing:

> --- On Fri, 4/10/09, Jason KG4WSV <kg4wsv at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 9:53 PM, Tom Russo
> > <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:
> >
> > > I, for one, would prefer that the changes be reverted,
> > then. ?The new GNIS
> > > data is too defective.
> >
> > +1
>
> How is it that other people are using the GNIS files if the population data no longer exists?  Do those other users no longer require population data or did the data just get moved somewhere less convenient?

The GNIS data is meant to be a list of place names and the spots to which they
apply.  The primary purpose doesn't apparently require population data.  But
Xastir does.  It was out of date, but at least it distinquished populated
places with 100 people from populated places with 1,000,000.

> I use the GNIS files, too, and I set up a few stripped files to reduce the loading time.  But even that won't work if the population data is gone.

Yes.  There was a reason we never updated the code to deal with the new stuff,
and the code should be reverted.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation