[Xastir] GPS waypoint question

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Apr 13 11:52:18 EDT 2009

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 8:26 AM, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse at comcast.net> wrote:
>> Please enlighten me.
>
> What if it is beneficial (mobile operator, fault tolerance,
> redundancy, etc) to have _both_ the radio display _and_ the xastir
> display (and, with a bit of hacking, the GPS waypoint display as
> well)?

No hacking needed:  Xastir will generate the WPT packets which will
plot on the GPS, just like a Tracker2 or a Kenwood APRS radio.

> My current solution to the problem is a little PIC decoder on the D700
> audio port to decode the packets for xastir, or if I have room and
> hardware throw a separate radio into the mix for 144.39/xastir use.

Or split the GPS cable and run just the GPS TX line and GND to the
D700 and to Xastir.  Can run the other line to the GPS from either
Xastir -or- the D700 to feed it the waypoints.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer