[Xastir] Can we get this fixed? Makefile.am warning

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Apr 16 15:04:27 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 11:50:25AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:

> > ./bootstrap.sh
>      7) Removing autom4te.cache directory...
>      6) Running aclocal...
>      5) Running autoheader...
>      4) Running autoconf...
>      3) Running automake...
> scripts/Makefile.am:76: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU make extension
>      2) Checking for 'mkinstalldirs'... Found!
>      1) Generating derived language files.....
>
> That warning was introduced within the last few weeks.

This was introduced when the scripts Makefile.am was tweaked to insert
the install prefix into various scripts.

IMHO, inserting gnu make-specific extensions into Makefile.am is not OK.  There
are some systems where "make" is not GNU make, and until this change it was
possible to build Xastir without GNU make.  (Mine is one of those systems).

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation