[Xastir] Town/Subdivision Names in shapefiles (static Tigermaps)

Dale Seaburg kg5lt at verizon.net
Thu Apr 16 19:10:00 EDT 2009

On Apr 15, 2009, at 10:18 AM, Tom Russo wrote:

Dale, KG5LT wrote:

> 2.  I was surprised to find that the rule line: /^MTFCC=G/ . . .  was
> basically ignored.  The display level did nothing.  I dropped the
> color without detriment.  I added font_size and several other fields
> to no effect.
>

 >That's puzzling.  I can only guess that the records are not in fact
 >matching the way you think they should.  Are you sure that pattern is
 >the right pattern?

No sir, I am not sure of the pattern as to its correctness.  I did
not create the original .dbfawk scripts.  I only made changes until
something worked...  ;-)  I will forward to you offlist a copy of the
scripts for your examination.

> Also, Craig, N6YXK said that he was having trouble with the secondary
> road appearance not doing as he expected when zooming in/out.  I did
> play a bit with the edge.dbfawk and the rule: "/^MTFCC=S12/ . . ."
> Changing the "display_level" value did make my secondary roads change
> size/color at different zoom levels.  That may help, Craig.
>

 >How puzzling.  You should not be able to change the size and color at
 >different zoom levels through dbfawk rules.  You can only turn
shapes on
 >or off based on zoom.  You can use "display_level" and
"label_level" to
 >define the lowest zoom level at which a shape (or its label) is
displayed,
 >but there shouldn't be any way that you can make the color or width
 >change at varying levels.

I now have that "not supposed to work feature" working on two
different PC's and soon on a third.  One is running xastir 1.9.2 and
the other two are 1.9.5.  I just reconfirmed the 1.9.5 version does
*indeed* change the secondary road width and color based on a change
of the display_level in the "/^MTFCC=S12/. . ." rule.

73 - Dale.  KG5LT