[Xastir] Weather Station

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Apr 17 13:03:52 EDT 2009

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, Dale Seaburg wrote:

> Now, for some help.  I want to be able to connect the weather data to APRS
> via xastir *and* be able to do as I have in the past - log to postgresql and
> be able to not just have a tty-style display of weather data, but a gui with
> graphing capability of user-selected weather data elements and date ranges.
> That is my goal.
>
> 1.  Is there anything available today to do close to what I want and
> open-source?

Look at the Davis and LaCrosse directories in the Xastir sources.
There are shims in there which do similar things to what you're
talking about, 'cuz the apps that talk to the weather stations
logged directly to MySQL.  Xastir then uses a shim to talk to the
database to snag the weather data.

Something similar could be created for the Peet Bros. versions and
PostgreSQL I'm sure.

> 2.  If not, what would the guru's suggest as a good gui tool set to use?  I
> don't need to be cross-platform, but I suppose it probably ought to be a
> consideration, if others would like to use it.

You keep asking about GUI stuff...  We currently hand-craft our
Motif widgets using generic C calls.  We're the wrong guys to ask!
hi hi

I've been interested in doing a server + database version of Xastir
for quite a few years, with pluggable database back-ends, and
multiple clients with different widget sets which break our
monolithic program into multiple clients, each with specific
functionality.  Have never had enough traction on that project to
get the ball sufficiently rolling.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer