[Xastir] New capability: 2008 Tiger Shapefile street maps

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sat Apr 18 06:07:55 EDT 2009

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> Thanks to the below mentioned people we now have Tiger 2008
> streetmap capability in Xastir...  And it's really fast!  If you're
> used to the Online Tigermap server, the speed of this will really
> blow you away.  It's also great for taking Xastir on the road where
> you don't have internet access.  Please note the special
> instructions below for setting up the layering so that roads aren't
> covered up.  Perhaps we can automate that part soon.

Here's how I'm snagging them:

Go to ftp://ftp2.census.gov/geo/tiger/TIGER2008/53_WASHINGTON/
with a browser.  Use this to find the names of the directories you
are interested in.

Make directories in /usr/local/share/xastir/maps where you wish to
put the maps.  I created directories like these:

     .../maps/USA/WA/Counties/Snohomish-2008/
     .../maps/USA/WA/Counties/Island-2008/

Snag the files with wget using the paths discovered through your
browser above:

     cd /usr/local/share/xastir/maps/USA/WA/Counties
     mkdir Snohomish-2008
     cd Snohomish-2008
     wget ftp://ftp2.census.gov/geo/tiger/TIGER2008/53_WASHINGTON/53061_Snohomish_County/*
     unzip \*.zip;chmod -x *;chmod go-w *

If everything looks good, remove the downloaded zip files:

     rm *.zip

Repeat the above steps for each county you're interested in.

When done with the downloading/unzipping:  Start up Xastir and do
Map->Configure->Index New Maps, then shut down Xastir.

Use the "vi" editor to change the map layers:

     vi ~/.xastir/config/map_index.sys
     :g/tabblock/s/01000/00995/
     :g/pointlm/s/01000/00996/
     :g/arealm/s/01000/00997/
     :wq

(Who's a "sed" user?  Give us some commands to do the same thing in
sed please!  Commands should be similar but can then be scripted.)

Start up Xastir and select the maps.  I've been selecting only these
types of maps:

     arealm.shp
     areawater.shp
     edges.shp
     tabblock.shp

As I mentioned:  Perhaps we can automated the process of
downloading/installing these maps and setting the map levels for
them.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer