[Xastir] Problems with lighting up Counties, NWS files

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sun Aug 2 00:44:59 EDT 2009

Alex Carver wrote:

> [...]

How to get the warning disseminated in all its various forms was
something we struggled with. I was the only non-NWS guy on the
committee, and we still meet periodically, and worry about these things.
  Using an expanded FIPS code provides more info by decimating the
county into 9 sectors:

                    -----------------
                    | NW |  N  | NE |
                    |  W |  C  |  E |
                    | SW |  S  | SE |
                    -----------------
However, that doesn't help the fact that there's a documented number of
folks in the general population (on the order of 70%) who are
geospatially illiterate.  Some of us dispute that, saying it's likely
closer to 90%.  A lot of the folks I talk to don't know what county
they're in.  Yeah, really.

Graphical warnings are a benefit there.  Also, in one economic study it
was found that the unnecessarily warned group in county based warnings
was roughly 70%.  Put another way, we can reduce the number of folks
warned by 70%, generally, and still get the word to the folks who need
it.  Assuming we can get it out.

Today, the majority of the warnings to the public are received via the
news media (or entertainment media in the case of OUR local TV
stations:-).  Weather Radio accounts for some 5% of the overall warnings
nationally, and it doesn't have the budget to bring it up to its currect
requirements document, much less incorporate the new coding needed for
SBW.  However, there are other technologies that can, today, benefit
from this.

1.  OnStar has the ability now to send a warning to all drivers in a SBW
warned area.
2.  Walmart and its affiliates have an active SBW tracking program in
their operations center in Bentonville AR. They warn stores in affected
areas, and their managers are required to lock down the stores and
safe-haven employees and customers when a warning affects a store. You
should have seen the consternation in the local Sam's Club manager when
I went out of the store to serve as "the trained spotter" for a recent
event here in town.  He kept telling me I had to go to the center of the
store and I kept refusing. Finally, he asked me who was so important on
the cell phone, and I told him I was reporting to the MIC at the NWS
Houston-Galveston office.  He settled down a bit after that...
3.  There are several cell-based services that call you when your number
is in a warning box.
4.  Cell towers COULD BE equipped to monitor SBW and notify all phones
in their coverage via automated SMS when they're affected.
5.  Broadcast now have good tools from their software vendors for SBW,
some based on snagging python scripts from a rather talented open source
guy in Iowa.

The list goes on.  The FIPS code, by the way, is still supposed to be sent.

Keep the comments coming. I'll pass 'em on to NWS and we'll discuss 'em.

73
gerry
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983