[Xastir] Problems with lighting up Counties, NWS files

Richard Polivka, N6NKO r.polivka at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 2 08:18:19 EDT 2009

Gerry Creager wrote:
> <snip>

> How to get the warning disseminated in all its various forms was
> something we struggled with. I was the only non-NWS guy on the
> committee, and we still meet periodically, and worry about these
> things. Using an expanded FIPS code provides more info by decimating
> the county into 9 sectors:
>
> -----------------
> | NW | N | NE |
> | W | C | E |
> | SW | S | SE |
> -----------------
> However, that doesn't help the fact that there's a documented number
> of folks in the general population (on the order of 70%) who are
> geospatially illiterate. Some of us dispute that, saying it's likely
> closer to 90%. A lot of the folks I talk to don't know what county
> they're in. Yeah, really.
>
> </snip>

I would have to chime in on the 90% number, if not very close. The
missus has not a clue and my daughter has times where she can be put in
a wet paper bag full of holes and can't figure out how to get out. Now,
OTOH, my son is very good with maps and knowing where he is.

Then of course there is the horse / water problem that pops in as well...

73 from 807,

Richard, N6NKO