[Xastir] Unuseable tiny dialog boxes on Aspire One under Ubuntu 8.04

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Aug 12 12:47:03 EDT 2009

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009, Tom Russo wrote:

> This *really* needs to be in the FAQ and README.

Perhaps also a Wiki page.  I see the FAQ under "Older Docs", which
is probably not a good sign.  It'd be great to link that directly to
the "CVS Browse" link for the _current_ version of the FAQ, do the
same for the others in that category which apply, then rename that
category.

This bit about compiz could probably go in the Xastir Manual wiki
page under a new "Problems" chapter or some-such too.

Tom:  If you don't mind I'll add some of your words below to a few
docs using the Johnny Appleseed approach (sprinkling it liberally
everywhere).

> The issue is the interaction between Motif and compiz, which in some versions
> of Ubuntu is turned on and off with a "Desktop Effects" menu item.  They made
> the default "on" several releases ago.  Compiz is what enables eye-candy
> effects like animated window opening/closing, 3-d effects, and so forth.  I
> don't know if there is any solution other than turning off those effects.

Does anyone know if this is a Gnome window manager specific problem?
Can it happen in KDE or in other window managers as well?  I know it
doesn't happen in FVWM2...