[Xastir] standards are wonderful...

Alex Carver kf4lvz at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 21 16:07:46 EDT 2009

--- On Fri, 8/21/09, mark.rice wrote:
> Finally, I wondered if the serial ribbon cable had the
> proper pin-out
> for the motherboard header....  no, it didn't.
> It wasn't even close,
> and I kick myself for not checking that.  But who
> would make their own
> standard, eh?

That's a little surprising considering there is a standard for the serial port pinout.  It was a one-to-one mapping.  Pin one of the header went to pin one of the D-shell connector.  Pin 10 was to be blank and used as a polarity key with a matching plug in the connector hole.

However, I had the same experience with a motherboard using a USB header.  It is five pins and is normally set up as Power, Data Minus, Data Plus, and Ground.  This one motherboard has some weird arrangement that I have yet to figure out because one port works and the other doesn't.  I'll have to probe it some more next time I open it to see if I can get both ports functional.