[Xastir] Hardy VMware Font problem

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 22:47:46 EST 2009

On 12/3/09, Tony Hunt <wavetel at internode.on.net> wrote:
> I am having a play with the Hardy Vmware appliance. Its the March 2009 one.
> Ive searched the archive for this mail list and even remember something
> about this .. The wiki does not seem to address this issue either. Its a
> Font problem by the looks. I get a string of errors constantly that look
> like these.
>
> Warning:
>     Name: create_appshell text_output
>     Class: XmTextField
>     Character '\156' not supported in font.  Discarded.
>
> Warning:
>     Name: create_appshell text_output
>     Class: XmTextField
>     Character '\41' not supported in font.  Discarded.
>
> The character numbers vary but the font warning is frequent.  Any ideas  on
> a fix for this ?
>
> Tony  Hunt  VK5AH

Hi Tony,

See below - looks like we discussed this before as the same thing was
happening with the Xubuntu 8.10 CD that I posted back in March.

Lee Bengston
<lee.bengston at gmail.com> 	Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 9:37 PM
To: Xastir - APRS client software discussion <xastir at lists.xastir.org>

Tony,

I just compared an installation of the March Xubuntu 8.10 CD to the
new Ubuntu 9.04 CD.  The March one definitely does output the same
warnings that you are seeing.  If I type export LANG=C in the terminal
before I launch Xastir, then the problem goes away.  It's not sticky,
though, so I have to enter it every time before starting Xastir.  On
the new CD, the problem is not there.  I'm guessing the reason is
either due to a difference in defaults between Xubuntu and Ubuntu or
between the 8.10 version and the 9.04 version.

Regards,
Lee

  --- remainder deleted ---

Regards,