[Xastir] More on radar problem

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sun Dec 6 23:58:48 EST 2009

I'll apologize now for not being able to keep my site up and
operational. Little problem with sys admins, hardware failure and the
fact that NWS gets paid to do this, and I'm still trying to get funding
outta them to support some of the things I do that NWS benefits from.

OK< so I've whined. Fact is, my site's been down hard with a couple of
large RAID failures, and a pair of dual-drive RAID failures on
individual machines.  Mark this down: RAID is no substitute for backup.
  And if your backups aren't happening, then you are in trouble.

I'm recovering the TAMU site, as best I can, now.  First things first:
I've gotta get my weather models going. I've got to get the Texas
Mesonet page displaying at least real-time data again.  Then I can get
radar back up.  I've been able to pretty well keep the Level II and
Level III data caches for NWS and NCEP up but the processed stuff lost
out when I lost the disks on that processing system.  Losing all of the
Mesonet disks was another big hit.

Gerry