[Xastir] Xastir with TNC-X

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Dec 8 22:23:51 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 09:15:42PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <duffy at wb8nut.com> flavor, containing:
> Hopefully someone out there has set this up and can step me through the
> process.
>
> I am using Ubuntu. I have a TNC-X (KISS TNC) that has the USB option.
>
> How do I configure Xastir to work with the TNC-X with a USB connection?
>
> Thanks in advance!

I don't have one, but according to the TNC-X web page, the USB connection is
nothing more than a USB<->Serial adapter of a sort that Linux should already
have support for.

Do a tail -f of /var/log/messages while plugging in the TNC, and you
should see a message saying it's detected and recognized as a serial adapter.
(this could appear in /var/log/daemon.log instead, I forget).  Once it does,
you should find /dev/ttyUSBx (where "x" is probably 0 if you have no other
adapters plugged in), which should act just like a serial port.  Configure
Xastir with a Serial KISS TNC on /dev/ttyUSB0 (or whatever) and it should Just
Work.
  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation