[Xastir] Xastir with TNC-X

James Cameron vk2lqz at wia.org.au
Wed Dec 9 18:11:28 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 02:47:56PM -0800, Curt, WE7U wrote:
> Yea, great if you are always on a system with it.  What about
> systems without it?  Xastir runs on a lot more besides Linux:
> Solaris, FreeBSD, HP/UX, OSX, Windows...

These other systems have other methods for being advised of hardware.
The simplest on Solaris, FreeBSD, HP/UX and Mac OS X is to poll /dev and
detect the new device inode.

> DBUS isn't universal.  Even if it was, on recent systems, people
> wouldn't be able to run Xastir on older systems if we required such.

You would require that?  That would be insane.  You should write code
that is portable and uses reasonable fallbacks when services are not
available.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/