[Xastir] splay and Xastir

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Dec 14 12:36:16 EST 2009

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009, Tim Billingsley wrote:

>> The only thing I had to d to get festival working with xastir was install
> it and start it as a server
> "festival --server"
> restart xastir and you should be good to go
>
> I will eventually add it to my crontab

Bad idea, add it to your /etc/init.d scripts instead.

Crontab is for programs you want to start on a periodic basis.
/etc/init.d is for starting/stopping programs when you start up your
system or change runlevels.

With OpenSuSE there's "/etc/init.d/festival", and you use:

   Yast2 -> System -> System Services (Runlevel)

to configure whether the Festival daemon is started automatically.

Other Linux versions should have similar methods of configuring
daemon auto-start.