[Xastir] Time to discard VMware as an option?

Amateur Radio WB8NUT duffy at wb8nut.com
Fri Dec 18 09:46:58 EST 2009

Tim and all,

I am not knocking VBox or any other virtual engine. But going with the
leader in virtualization has many advantages.

The reason MS has such as lock is pretty simple. It's easy to use and
with Windows 7, pretty stable and they eliminated many of the Vista
issues. XP was also easy and pretty stable. The average home user does
not have the patience and ability to manage a Linux system. Use, yes,
but when it comes to getting things to work and having to use a terminal
to get things to work, most people are not going to go to Linux.  For
example, my niece has a Linux system that I built for her, but when
there are issues, she always has to call me to get things fixed or working.

Open source is wonderful. I always try to find an open source
application because they are usually good and free to use. But in the
case of VMware, yes it is no open source, but many IT people are already
familiar with it because they are using it in their jobs. Many corporate
and government users are starting to become familiar with it because it
is being deployed for virtual desktops. Within the next ten years many
companies with do away with the traditional PC and it will be replaced
by a virtual PC using VMware and simple a thin client on the users desktop.

But as I said, I am not knocking VBox or any other virtualization
engine. People can use whatever they want. But how many different
virtualization technologies can this one group support? Hence why I
suggested concentrate on the leader and the technology most people are
familiar with.

Duffy
www.wb8nut.com