[Xastir] Xastir with VMware

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Dec 18 11:47:45 EST 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 08:38:28AM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009, Tom Russo wrote:
>
> > You might luck out and find that the
> > issue has been fixed in CVS already (I dimly recall some instability issues
> > related to bad pointer references a few releases back).
>
> FWIW:  CVS Xastir is rock-solid on my OpenSuSE-11.1 & 11.2 32-bit
> and 64-bit systems.  Xastir uptime on this box is 14 days, no
> problems.  I ran two instances of CVS Xastir on an 11.2 32-bit
> laptop for the Seattle Marathon and had zero issues with stability.

It's rock solid on my BSD sytem as well --- uptimes tend to be the same as
the uptime of my machine, usually at least a month or two at a time.  But I
do recall a brief period (perhaps even around a release) where there were
some multi-process issues with freed/zeroed pointers a while back that took
a little fixing.  Yeah --- just looked at my email archive and see that
you and I were discussing the issue in late September 2008, and it was indeed
the case that the problematic code made it into a "stable" release right before
that exchange.  Since 1.9.4 was in fact released in August 2008, it is
extremely likely that the various debian-based repositories all have that
buggy version.  But in that csae, the code was actually crashing, not just
freezing.  That code was related to UDP and TCP server ports, so is probably
not what's causing the hangs reported here.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation