[Xastir] Time to discard VMware as an option?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Dec 18 12:03:06 EST 2009

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, David Flood wrote:

> I see now that I opened a large can of worms almost on the scale of VI vs EMACS.

David:  You need to realize your strengths!  hi hi

> Each suggestion and thought has its own merit.  But, taken as a
> whole, a move by a manufacturer from "free, no registration or
> serial number (I never had to enter one at all to use the Player
> in the past)" to "only installs on certain systems with the right
> cpu and you must have an account to even download it" is a step in
> the wrong direction when it comes to supporting as many different
> hardware and software systems as possible with Xastir.

I just went through the "only installs on certain systems with the
right CPU" problem recently with NVidia drivers and AMD CPU's.  I
had to upgrade one of the kid's boxes just to get him going again
with 3D.  The AMD Athlon he had was a non XP version and didn't have
something that the new driver required.  I hate it when hardware has
to be retired for no good reason.

> Unfortunately the Player has become yet another victim of the
> "neighborhood crack dealer syndrome".  Give them something at a
> discount at first and then, when they are hooked, jack up the
> cost/price/repercussions.  I'd like to see Xastir escape before it
> is so hooked that there is no escape so I asked the question.

I guess I'd still like to see VMWare & VirtualBox supported.  I'd
very much like to see the Cygwin install retired, which was our
first documented method of running under Windows.  There's also
andLinux which we have documented but I have no experience with.

> I guess I had better dust off my programming skills and see if I
> can come up with a free way to create a Windows native executable.
> Either that or go find and submit fixes to Cygwin to make it a
> viable option again.

Talk to me directly.  You know how to get a hold of me.  I'm
frustrated that I've not been able to make any headway on some
important issues due to lack of time.  I have some free time coming
up RSN and will kick myself again if I don't make some progress
during it.