[Xastir] Time to discard VMware as an option?

kg4giy at gmail.com kg4giy at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 17:23:00 EST 2009

Given the linux underpinnings of VMware, I cannot see it going away soon.  While I might want the vSphere environment to run on something other than Windows (I do), most of the core functions of virtualization run just fine on ESXi (which at least is given away, if not open source) and meets the needs of virtualization with out the complexity of hacking your own.

I am not bashing KVM for example, but, for one, I don't have enough free time to be constantly building the car, stating with the transmission.  If I can toss a guest OS into the VM and get running, I will take it.  That gives me more time to work on what is important to me.  And as someone who has a marginal amount of time to devote to my hobby, every savings I can get is good.

DAVID