[Xastir] Time to discard VMware as an option?

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Sat Dec 19 13:17:58 EST 2009

Ray Wells wrote:
> Have a look at Virtual Box. You can download it from their website as a
> package for many Linux varieties.. I use it here to run WinXP Pro in a
> VB under Kubuntu 9.10. It's great.

I've been running CentOS and Fedora guests on VirtualBox, using a
Windows XP laptop host. It hasn't always been a walk in the park.

Once apparently installing security updates to Windows caused the
virtual machines to not start. Updating VirtualBox to a newer version
fixed that. Then once I lost the host-only network device that VB uses
to bridge network connections and it didn't come back with a simple
uninstall / install cycle of VirtualBox. Bridging to a WLAN card has
also been a bit unreliable, even though the host machine has no problems
and the WLAN signal is strong. Anyway currently everything is working
fine again, after I installed VirtualBox 3.1.0. I haven't ran Xastir in
VB though, so can't comment on that.

   Tapio