[Xastir] On to the next question

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Dec 22 02:54:35 EST 2009

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009, Alex Carver wrote:

> There's no automated method for obtaining the maps for local use
> unless a script has shown up in one of the latest releases (I'm
> about two releases behind right now).

We try to be careful to follow the licensing requirements for
anything we use.  It's been a long time since I looked at the
terraserver licensing, so they may allow it now.  It's USGS data
that they use anyway so it's a possibility.

> It's just a manual process if there's no script handy.  You just
> go out and get the proper TIGER/Line shapefiles for the streets in
> the areas of interest and also collect your topo maps in some
> appropriate format (GeoTIFF being ideal but it needs to be
> reworked according to the readme with Xastir).

No.  For topos you want geoTIFF DRG files from the USGS which have
NOT been reworked.

For aerial photographs you need DOQQ's but those must be worked over
a bit to make them useful.

> I forget which TIGER set doesn't work properly with Xastir so
> someone will remind me here.  But there's an older set which has
> all the data fields and a newer set which had a few fields
> stripped (or was that the GNIS data files?).

Several Tiger sets will work.  You just need dbfawk files to go with
them.

It's the GNIS files that lost critical info we used in the current
set that's available out there.