[Xastir] Feature Request

Chip G. n1mie at mac.com
Wed Dec 23 13:43:55 EST 2009

On Dec 22, 2009, at 12:49, Curt, WE7U wrote:

>> My Feeling is "Locked means Locked". But I do not know how hard it would be to script the lock feature on the rest of the items.
>
> It's difficult trying to figure out what people really want when all the edge cases start creeping in, so I'll wait to see if anyone else cares about it.

OK, so I'll weigh in on the subject.

> The "TrackMe" button is visible in the top menu bar all the time so I figured people MAY want that one to override the map lock.  It gives you a moving map for your vehicle that keeps your system visible.  It could be difficult while already driving to pull over and go through the menus to disable the map lock.  I could gray-out the "TrackMe" text when the lock is on (make that button inactive).

I don't completely disagree with your premise or Tom's either. But I don't see them as being completely incompatible. Perhaps just a warning and not a completely disable. I sometimes use the track feature to highlight a station I'm watching (i.e. my wife) who I don't expect to leave the map I have displayed (i.e. the entire county). There are a couple of ways this can be handled more-or-less gracefully. If you have a lock on, it should override tracking (or give an option for both choices as I can see advantage of the other way around). In fact, both seem valid. (1) I'm watching someone who's going to stay on the map, if they leave I may still want it to stay put (they'll eventually come back). (2) I don't want to accidentally change the map but I need to track someone, so I want track to override lock but to keep it from changing otherwise.

> Maybe it would be good to add some always-visible text or colors to Xastir when the lock is on.  A watermark across the map?

No watermark please. Perhaps a colored border (red stands out) around the map. Perhaps a brightly colored icon in the status bar (bottom).

>>> Done.  I did NOT implement the zoom/pan lock for the following features:
>>>
>>>    display_zoom_image
>>>    Track_Me
>>>    last map position
>>>    track_gui.c:Track_station()
>>>    Find Station
>>>    Map Display Bookmarks
>
> I believe "display_zoom_image" is a helper script that other functions call.  We wouldn't want to put the lock on that one directly.  Ignore that one in the list above.

Last map position is a manually called item, right, so I think it likely should be allowed to pass through the lock. Find station is also manual that takes numerous steps, so I think it should override. Same with bookmarks. In other words, lock unless I say otherwise. It's not like we're trying to lock this so a user can't use it. I think the purpose was to lock it from ACCIDENTAL changes (arrow keys, mouse, etc) that can happen without intent in a busy work environment. None of the above are things which can be done accidentally with a single mouse click or single key press.

> More comments anyone?  This is your chance to get it working the way you'd like!

Thanks for a voice.  :)

--
    Chip