[Xastir] Samba Peculiarity

Tom ve7did ve7did at dccnet.com
Tue Feb 10 23:43:30 EST 2009

Perhaps most of you know this, but the other day I happened to be
watching my transmit led on the TNC and noticed some long (10 seconds or
so) continuous transmissions being generated by my station every 15 or
so minutes.  I am using the TNC's in KISS Mode running 3 different
functions. Normally you may not notice this as the transmissions are not
heard by the sending station.  After monitoring it with the listen
command there was all kinds of "junk" being sent.
So, after much fiddling around and head scratching it turned out to be
Samba which was generating this info.  It looks like it was sending info
to all ports, perhaps broadcasting itself to other computers on a
network.  Goofy thing is I'm not even using Samba yet and it was
installed by default with Slackware. ( I just upgraded to the newer
version and upgraded to a slightly new computer).

So, if you happen to be listening to the aprs network and you hear long
transmissions about every 15 or 20 minutes, there is a good chance
someone else running xastir in kiss mode with Samba running.  I'm sure
there must be a way in Samba to select which ports you want these
broadcasts to go out on, but I haven't played with it yet, so I killed
it for the time being.

--
Propagation Knows No Boundaries
73 de Tom,  ve7did