[Xastir] Samba Peculiarity

Scott Evans scott at vk7hse.hobby-site.org
Tue Feb 10 23:51:49 EST 2009

Hi...

Search for a file on your system called smb.conf (most likely
in /etc/samba) and find the line that refers to "interfaces =" and
adjust there for instance I have restricted mine to only broadcast on my
lan (eth0) by setting this variable to interfaces =
192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0 (adjust for your local ip!)

On Tue, 2009-02-10 at 20:43 -0800, Tom ve7did wrote:

> Perhaps most of you know this, but the other day I happened to be
> watching my transmit led on the TNC and noticed some long (10 seconds or
> so) continuous transmissions being generated by my station every 15 or
> so minutes.  I am using the TNC's in KISS Mode running 3 different
> functions. Normally you may not notice this as the transmissions are not
> heard by the sending station.  After monitoring it with the listen
> command there was all kinds of "junk" being sent.
> So, after much fiddling around and head scratching it turned out to be
> Samba which was generating this info.  It looks like it was sending info
> to all ports, perhaps broadcasting itself to other computers on a
> network.  Goofy thing is I'm not even using Samba yet and it was
> installed by default with Slackware. ( I just upgraded to the newer
> version and upgraded to a slightly new computer).
>
> So, if you happen to be listening to the aprs network and you hear long
> transmissions about every 15 or 20 minutes, there is a good chance
> someone else running xastir in kiss mode with Samba running.  I'm sure
> there must be a way in Samba to select which ports you want these
> broadcasts to go out on, but I haven't played with it yet, so I killed
> it for the time being.

Scott Evans VK7HSE
Phone: +61362291658
Mobile: +61417586157
scott at vk7hse.hobby-site.org
http://www.vk7hse.hobby-site.org
PGP/GPG Key ID 74639624

If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the
individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately
by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified
that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.