[Xastir] Compiling Xastir on OSX and remote TNC access

Stephen - K1LNX k1lnx at k1lnx.net
Sat Jul 25 19:09:12 EDT 2009

> They switched from BSD ptys to Unix98 ptys, so there are a few gotchas which may need to be worked out in some cases.

Yes, I should have clarified that lol, they didn't truly go away, just
in a different format.

Thinking about this issue all day has left me with the following
thoughts, please chime in if you have any suggestions:

- I am having a difficult time trying to accomplish what I am wanting
to do. This has led me to think about taking another route with this.
I have a KPC-3+ with the latest firmware that is currently sitting
dormant. Could I use this with Xastir on my Mac and also configure it
to act as a fill in digi? Looking at the sample TNC init file suggests
this may be possible, and would kill two birds with one stone as I was
also going to implement digi_ned for this function.

- Igating. If I do move the TNC over to the Mac, is there a way to
share the serial port (I'm going to be using a serial/usb adapter)
with Javaaprssrvr? I know there is an Igate function within Xastir,
but I would prefer to keep them both seperate.

- I could always use ldsped. I've used it in the past with great success.

This also left me thinking, why do we not have an ethernet connectable
TNC and protocol (whether it be SV2AGW's or built from scratch) to go
with it? Just curious if anyone has given this any thought. On ON7LDS'
website, he took a TNC-X and added an ethernet to serial board to it
and accomplished exactly that. That's pretty cool! :)

--
Stephen Brown - ARS K1LNX
Johnson City, TN EM86