[Xastir] Trouble

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 21:22:15 EDT 2009

On 7/28/09, Kevin Ratcliff <kevin at kevinratcliff.com> wrote:

> I am by no means an Ubuntu expert, just a mere user, but I just
> checked and didn't have any problem with the Online/CanadaTopo250k
> maps. That was with a recent CVS install though; I don't have a binary
> install to test with. I might have some time later in the week to try
> a binary install from the package manager on an Ubuntu virtual machine
> if you don't have it figured out by then.
>
> Good luck!

The best bet is to follow the installation notes in the Wiki for
installing Xastir from source for your distribution.  It appears from
previous email that you are on Ubuntu 8.10.  The HowTo for 8.04/8.10
covers removing the binary version that was installed from the
repositories as well as installing Xastir from source.

My guess is when you upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10 one of the packages
that Xastir uses was modified in some way that it is not functioning
properly now.  Either that or there is a problem with the Xastir
binary package in the repository for 8.10.  Regardless, installing
Xastir from source as instructed in the wiki should not only fix the
issue, but also give you a newer version that is easily upgradable.
It is certainly a drawn out process compared to installing the binary
from the repository, but I have found it to be well worth it.

Regards,
Lee - K5DAT