[Xastir] KML snapshots question

Kevin Ratcliff kevin at kevinratcliff.com
Mon Jun 8 09:12:42 EDT 2009

Greetings,

I see that recent versions of Xastir have the ability to create KML
file snapshots. Way cool!

Google Earth can read "static" KML files. However, there's an every
better feature: "network" KML files that refresh automatically from a
web server on a configurable interval.

Here's what I want to do:

Run Apache on my Xastir box, and create a symbolic link to
~/.xastir/tracklogs/file.kml so that Apache can serve the KML file and
Google Earth can refresh it automatically. Does that sound like it
should work? I haven't tried it yet.

However, one potential problem I can see is that each KML file created
has a different filename based on the date/time. Is there a way I can
always point Apache to use the latest file? If not, could Xastir be
set to also output a KML with a filename that doesn't change (similar
to the way PNG snapshots work)? I can put in a feature request for
this if needed.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Kevin
KB9MQU