[Xastir] VMWare Ubuunto - Getting GPS to work on MacBookPro

Nick nwsnowboarder at verizon.net
Fri Jun 12 23:36:06 EDT 2009

Last weekend my hard drive failed on my Mac.  I did have it backed up,
but Xastir won't work off the back-up.  I was using the last compiled
version that Dana had posted a couple of years ago.

I decided to go the VMWare route and installed it last night.  Installed
the Prolific USB driver on my Mac and am able to monitor the GPS data
stream on the Mac.

In VMWare I enabled the USB Serial under settings.

In Xastir I set-up the interface for the GPS as /dev/cu.usbserial which
is how I had it set-up running native on the the Mac and this didn't
work.  I set up another Serial GPS using the default settings and it
comes up, but there is no GPS data, i.e. no satellites or fix.

Is there a Wiki just for this version?  Hadn't really monitored it
before.  Would love to back to a native install on OS X, but it was such
a pain last time.

Cheers,

Nick
KC7RGL