[Xastir] Thanks for helping us have a successful event!

peter+aprs at duonet.net peter+aprs at duonet.net
Tue Jun 16 08:20:42 EDT 2009

Hello, this is KC0TFB, Peter Gamache.  I coordinated APRS operations for the
Minnesota Multiple Sclerosis Society's MS-150 fundraising bicycle tour this
year, last Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  As part of the safety team (dozens
of dedicated and skilled ham operators), we ensured the safety of thousands
of event participants during their 150-mile ride from Duluth, Minnesota to
the Twin Cities.  It was an exciting event and I'm glad that Xastir helped
make it happen.  Here's how it worked:

Planning and preparation for APRS use during the event started about 5-6
weeks ago. In Sun VirtualBox (http://virtualbox.org/), I installed Xubuntu
GNU/Linux 9.04, then stripped out the non-essential packages.  I then added
the Xastir package and the TigerLine 2006 maps (from ftp://aprs.tamu.edu)
for all the MN counties that the event passed through.  This laid the
foundation for our APRS operations.

Since this VM image would be used by all the Rest Stop operators on whatever
laptop they provided, I wanted an easy-to-use interface.  On the desktop, I
added a icon for my "Get Updates" script.  This script "phoned home" to a
server that could run commands on each system to cover my tracks, had I
forgot anything.

Jason, N0RPM (also our Net Control APRS op), contributed an excellent tool,
in the form of the other desktop script.  It configured Xastir for each
station, inserting the appropriate callsign, coordinates, comment and symbol
for each rest stop in the configuration file, then launched Xastir.

Prior to the event, we distributed the VM image to all the Rest Stop radio
operators.  In VirtualBox, you can "Export" a VM.  This compresses the
filesystem and gives you two files as output: one that describes the VM
settings and another that represents the disk image.  For us, this totalled
about 600Mb, which fit perfectly on a CD-R.

Several revisions occurred after the CD-Rs were distributed, however the
"Get Update" script took care of this.  Various updates added the GNIS file
for MN (ftp://aprs.tamu.edu) to support street address location searches,
re-configured the map selector and removed the .xastir/config/object.log, so
all our stations wouldn't try to beacon the same objects.

Most importantly, we had a training meeting for all the Rest Stop APRS
operators.  In training, we discussed the important features we'd need to
use: Messaging, locating map features, the basics of zooming, panning and
how to configure Xastir for whatever TNC each operator had available.

At the event, cyclists had each been issued a wristband which identified
their rider number, as well as listed a "Rider Helpline" telephone number.
That number went to our net control telephone op, the person responsible for
providing the "end-user interface" to our support radio network.

If a rider needed assistance, the telephone op would pass the message to our
APRS operator, who would place an object (using the rider number as an
object name) on the map.  The Net Control voice operator would then contact
the nearest rest stop, "Rest Stop X, pick up rider #1234 at Fourth Ave and
Main Street."

The voice operator at the specified rest stop would confirm receipt of the
request, and the rest stop APRS operator would adopt the rider object on the
map.  The rest stop communicators would then dispatch the nearest SAG
(support and gear) van to pick up the rider along the route.  The SAGs all
had tracking beacons installed (see http://map.findu.com/mssag*) prior to
the event, so finding the nearest one was easy.

When the SAG reported back via 2m simplex to the rest stop, informing them
that the rider was picked up, the rest stop would then delete the object for
the rider, removing it from everyone's map.  The rest stop would then inform
Net Control via either our 70cm repeater or APRS messaging that "Rider #1234
was picked up".

The event ended with all the thousands (around 4000, if my estimates are
correct) of riders making it safely home.  Once again, Xastir helped make
this possible.  Thanks to all the developers and users who make up the
Xastir community - we couldn't have done this without you!

73,
Peter / KC0TFB