[Xastir] dual port TNC

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Jun 16 12:41:58 EDT 2009

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

> Will xastir read from a pipe instead of a serial port device special
> file in the TNC interface code?

It's not set up to do so right now.  We use pipes inside Xastir, but
not there.

You could try a named pipe.  I don't know how the serial code would
handle that.

> I had the idea of a simple daemon that would speak MKISS to the TNC,
> then break out individual streams over named pipes and let xastir talk
> to them.

You could also create pty's that Xastir could talk to.  Might
require zero or few changes to Xastir in that case.

> An alternative idea was to add a KISS network interface, for use with
> things like socat et al.  Would allow the MKISS daemon to talk to
> network ports instead of named pipes, and has the added benefit of
> allowing xastir to talk to network serial ports.

That would be sweet.  I hear there's a possible solution to the
remote TNC problem coming out soon from someone else.  I don't know
details but I know someone who's beta-testing it.  If it's
open-source it'd be a shame for you to duplicate effort along those
lines, that's why I'm mentioning it.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer