[Xastir] Thanks for helping us have a successful event!

Bob Donnell kd7nm at pugetsound.net
Tue Jun 16 13:35:52 EDT 2009

One of the things that came to mind, reading Mike's post is that IF the VM
installation can be set up to do soundmodem packet, then all that's needed
is the right stuff for operating the rig dedicated to packet.  No TNC
needed.  At one time I had a Pentium 150 laptop with a Baycom modem set up -
which uses a lot of the same pieces as the soundmodem - and it handled
Xastir OK, other than it took a very long time to pan and zoom topo maps.
Local Tiger vector maps would likely be a lot faster.

If the ham involved has any interest in using digital modes, a USB sound
card device designed for radio interface, like a TigerTronics SignalLink
USB, could be set up with the radio in question, providing packet operations
with the virtual machine, or when used with the native operating system, to
do HF digital modes, like PSK-31 - basicly a not-too-expensive way to get a
"two-fer" - APRS support via Xastir and the VM, and the many digital modes
via the native operating system and software available for it.

Receive-only stations could also be set up to use the computer's soundcard
as the audio source.  Transmit might be managed, but the trick with most
laptops becomes how to key the radio.  Most soundmodem software and hardware
uses one of the hardware handshake lines from a serial port to key the rig.
That's where the SignalLink USB is sneaky.  It uses a fast-acting VOX
circuit to key the radio.  The only down side is that any sound sent to that
port will key the rig - but since it's going into the system as a secondary
audio device, that's somewhat less risky - though careful configuration
might be needed.

By the way, Curt, WE7U, and I have used Xastir for several years in
dispatching SAG drivers, all APRS tracker equipped, to pick up runners
unable to complete the run.  Curt works behind the scenes in the main net
control, taking reports from the nets that communicate with hams at each
mile marker and rest stop, then sending them to me.  I operate the SAG net,
on a different frequency, from across the Seattle Center, which gives us
enough seperation to not interfere with eachother, and I'm located just
outside the recovery area (which being built to Cold War standards, is
difficult to get RF in and out of) so when there's a runner being delivered,
as their SAG driver arrives, the hams in the medical area can send a wheel
chair, if needed, to meet the runner at the street, and get he or she
delivered to the medicos helping the mildly injured.  We have successfully
used instant messaging to pass this info back and forth, but have also
planned on using Xastir for APRS one-liner's if our IM circuit fails.

Placing objects for each stopped runner is a good idea, and one I'll see if
I can remember to adopt.  It seems like a good idea, and provides a
graphical status board.  Editing the object also allows those watching to
see which SAG unit is enroute to pick up each participant.  And rather than
having each SAG driver reconfigure their tracker (always risky), we use the
tactical call sign assignment capability to make each SAG show up with the
tactical identifier that was assigned.  The area of the event is small
enough that it's not usually necessary to limit the display to only tactical
calls - anyone going by on the freeway isn't in the picture long enough to
be of concern.

One the other things I did some time ago was to take the race map, clean all
of the extraneous text out of it, rotate it to north-up orientation, and
generate a .geo file for it.  That places the rest stops and mile markers on
the map.  If I need to find a specific non-identified intersection, then I
turn on the Tiger Map layer, with labels, to find the street.  And it sounds
like I can improve on that this fall, too.

73, Bob, KD7NM