[Xastir] Crash when reading shapefile

Jason Godfrey godfreja at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 10:22:03 EDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Tom Russo<russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:

> I just committed a change to shp_hash.c that protects against this segfault/bus
> error by skipping any shapes for which SHPReadObject fails.  There is similar
> code in the map_shp.c file.

Cool, thanks,.

> I don't know what's up with your shapefile, but if you really have no luck
> diagnosing the problem, do a CVS update and see if you can move past this
> problem by skipping the defective record.  You'll still have the fread error
> message, but it shouldn't cause a segfault anymore.

My debugging efforts got hampered by the fact xastir is picking up
shapelib from somewhere I'm not expecting. To move on I reconverted my
KML file using ogr2ogr, and xastir is now happily displaying the
shapefile.

Thanks
- Jason

--
I have learned to use the word 'impossible' with the greatest caution.
 -- Wernher von Braun