[Xastir] Soundmodem on OSX

Dana Rawding n1ofz at arrl.net
Sun Jun 21 23:10:13 EDT 2009

As subsequent posts have provided urls for Jack and JackonOSX I will
not rehash.  But for those who have not looked it up:

"JACK is system for handling real-time, low latency audio (and MIDI).
It runs on GNU/Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD, OS X and Windows (and can be
ported to other POSIX-conformant platforms). It can connect a number
of different applications to an audio device, as well as allowing them
to share audio between themselves. Its clients can run in their own
processes (ie. as normal applications), or can they can run within the
JACK server (ie. as a "plugin"). JACK also has support for
distributing audio processing across a network, both fast & reliable
LANs as well as slower, less reliable WANs."

Again I'm not suggesting that it's the be all end all but if there was
a middleware packet decoder that could connect to a Jack stream on one
end and Xastir on the other I think that would be huge.  I'll bet a
large amount of the decoding stuff could be lifted from the current
soundmodem code or maybe soundmodem itself could be modified to be
able to get input from Jack.  Of course the cat's meow would be if
Xastir could connect to the Jack stream and do the decoding
internally.  Maybe some day when the more modular Xastir 2 finally
arrives it could be a possibility.

Dana
N1OFZ