[Xastir] NWS Warning Maps

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Jun 22 14:01:15 EDT 2009

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009, Dale Seaburg wrote:

> As you can see in the first paragraph, I assumed from the 15 minute update
> interval, that the get_NWSdata script would have to be run, too.

No, as get_NWSdata just snags the weather alert shapefiles from NWS,
not from Gerry's server.

The weather alerts which we receive over INET or RF are short
single-line APRS messages which specify zones to light up.  Those
zones are then pulled from the previously-loaded fairly static
Shapefiles that we get from NWS.

> looked at the shape files, but perhaps they know when to get updates, and
> have the URL built-in to accomplish this.

Nope.

> If we're talking about county
> weather alert data, they need to be updated often during the bad weather,
> right?

Yea, but those contain either lists of zones to light up that are in
the NWS Shapefiles, or they contain polygons that get drawn in
Xastir itself (nothing to do with Shapefiles in this last case).

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer