[Xastir] Tiger 2008 shapefile info added to wiki

Kevin Ratcliff kevin at kevinratcliff.com
Thu Jun 25 17:04:38 EDT 2009

All,

A couple of months ago there was a flurry of emails about the new
Tiger 2008 shapefile capabilities in Xastir. The thread got a bit hard
to follow though, and at the time I didn't bother downloading any of
the maps.

I recently went through the steps to download and install Indiana's
Tiger 2008 maps, and today I documented those steps in the Xastir
Howto:Maps wiki:

http://xastir.org/wiki/index.php/HowTo:MAPS#Tiger_2008_shapefiles

My documentation shows how to download an entire state at once, which
may not be what other people want to do, but the steps are pretty
similar to doing just a single county.

If you haven't tried the Tiger 2008 files (and associated dbfawk files
for controlling the display), I'd encourage you to do so. They're
really nice!

I did the testing of the documentation in Ubuntu 9.04, but I would
think it would work exactly the same way regardless of the distro. As
always, I'm sure I made some mistakes, so someone please correct them
when you find them!

Kevin
KB9MQU