[Xastir] Ubuntu 9.04 howto now on Xastir wiki

Kevin Ratcliff kevin at kevinratcliff.com
Mon Jun 29 13:29:36 EDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 10:08 PM, Tom Russo<russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:
> The libgeotiff is fine, but unfortunately depends on proj.4 --- and the
> proj.4 installation for Ubuntu (and all Debian distros) is compiled
> incorrectly without NAD datum shift grids.  This can be a problem.

Thanks for the warning Tom!

> If you are using proj.4 for *anything* other than Xastir (which requires it
> solely for libgeotiff, but doesn't use it for datum shifting), you need to
> build proj.4 from sources and do so by unpacking the NAD datum shift grids
> in the "nad" directory first.

I will make some changes to the Ubuntu 9.04 wiki article to reflect
this information.

> Just a warning.  This doesn't impact Xastir directly, but does impact *anything*
> else that uses proj.4 (QGIS, GRASS, or GDAL tools).  If you build proj.4 from
> source, you also need to build libgeotiff from source -- otherwise the
> package management system will install the broken one anyway.

I recently used ogr2ogr to convert (not sure if that's the correct
term) a shapefile from NAD27 UTM to WGS84 Lat/Lon. I had the Ubuntu
proj binary installed and had compiled GDAL from source. Is my newly
converted shapefile hosed?

Thanks again.

Kevin