[Xastir] audio alerts on os X

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Sat May 2 12:25:25 EDT 2009

On a whim I did a bit of playing with audio alerts on OS X.

I replaced the play command with /usr/bin/say (command line to OS X
speech synthesis) and replaced the file name with a string to be
spoken.

Almost got it, but /usr/local/share/xastir/sound/ was getting
prepended to the "filename".

Edited xastir config file, cleared out the SOUND_DIR entry.  Bummer,
apparently the path is hard coded as a default, because it's still
there.  Is there some sort of placeholder I can use to keep it empty?

Hacked out a little perl script to strip
/usr/local/share/xastir/sound/ from argv[0] and execute the say
command, and use it for the "play" command.

It works!  I'm already sick of hearing my computer say "new station heard".

Maybe I'll see if I can fake a festival client the same way.

Perl script follows.

-Jason
kg4wsv

#!/usr/bin/perl
$ARGV[0] =~ s!/usr/local/share/xastir/sounds/!!g;
system("/usr/bin/say", (join " ", @ARGV));