[Xastir] New capability: 2008 Tiger Shapefile street maps

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun May 3 20:12:21 EDT 2009

On Sun, May 03, 2009 at 07:07:45PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <r.polivka at sbcglobal.net> flavor, containing:
> QGIS is out for this.

He asked about *viewing* the data, and QGIS should be able to do that.  One
could do the ogr2ogr thing, then view the result in QGIS or ArcExplorer, and
iterate.  Painful, but at least graphical and easier to see the results than
getting it in Xastir.  You wouldn't use QGIS to do the subsetting, though.

I don't think ArcExplorer can do it, either.  ArcGIS could, but who wants to
spend thousands of bucks for the privilege?

The other option, of course, is GRASS, but that's definitely not for the
faint of heart.  The learning curve is too steep.  But selecting subsets of
data would be pretty straightforward with that, and then one would use
precisely the same OGR syntax to output it (because GRASS uses OGR to write
vector data).

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation