[Xastir] Linux Newbie Needs Help

Phil - w2lie w2lie at w2lie.net
Tue May 5 23:04:04 EDT 2009

Hello All.  Wondering if you could help a fellow ham who is new to the
Linux world.

I've installed openSuse 11.1 on a new laptop.  This isn't my first Linux
attempt, but this is my first time dedicating myself to learning this OS.
Since installing Linux last month, I have been playing around with KDE
and getting used to some changes.  I've tried installing XASTIR via
YAST, but it never worked.

I found some online resources and was able to overcome MOST of my
obstacles.  The main one being that X-11 wasn't installed.  I finally
found that solution and I can now get XASTIR to load on my laptop!!
The problem I am having is that I can not enter any text into the text
boxes.  Because of this, I can not enter my Latitude/Longitude or Call
Sign. (as well as anything else that requires text!).  All mouse
functions seem to work fine.  I can download maps from the internet.

Am I missing something or a package that allows text in X11?  If you
need logs, please let me know what to look for..remember, I am very new
to Linux.
I installed via "Method 2" from this page:
http://www.xastir.org/wiki/index.php/HowTo:OpenSUSE_11.0

Thanks - and 73
Phil / w2lie

--
www.w2lie.net
Long Island Live Scanner Feeds and Forums.