[Xastir] libWand.so.10 missing

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Thu May 7 22:23:32 EDT 2009

On 5/7/09, Denton K. Larson <radioguy at frontiernet.net> wrote:
> Hi everybody
>
> I have a problem.
>
> I used to use Ubuntu 8.10, I recently and it worked GREAT!
> I upgraded to Ubuntu 9.04 and I have a problem with Xastir.
> It won't load. I have tried to reinstall but I get this.
>
> dlarson at dlarson-desktop:~/xastir-1.9.5$ xastir
> xastir: error while loading shared libraries: libWand.so.10: cannot open
> dlarson at dlarson-desktop:~/xastir-1.9.5$ xastir &
> xastir: error while loading shared libraries: libWand.so.10: cannot open
> [1] 11473
> [1]+  Exit 127                xastir
>
> I am real green to linux, can somebody shed some light?

In earlier Ubuntu releases, it appears that imagemagick needed
libWand.so.10, but the version of imagemagick in Ubuntu 9.04 evidently
needs libmagickWand.so.1.0.0   Xastir uses imagemagick, so therein
lies the problem.

Fire up Synaptic and do a search on "libmagick".  Among what shows up,
make sure libmagickcore1, libmagickcore-dev, and libmagickwand1 are
installed.  If not, install any that are not.  (BTW, for those
building Xastir from scratch in Ubuntu 9.04, just install
libmagickcore-dev instead of libmagick9-dev that applied to earlier
Ubuntu releases, which will install libmagickcore1 as a dependency,
which will then install libmagickwand1 as a dependency)

Try Xastir again after "fixing" imagemagick.  I'm thinking you may not
have to recompile Xastir because I don't think Xastir is trying to use
the libWand file directly.

Regards,

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX