[Xastir] make error messages

James Jolin jjolin at itol.com
Tue May 19 18:47:03 EDT 2009

Tom Russo wrote:
> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 04:50:02PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <jjolin at itol.com> flavor, containing:
>
>> Could you guys tell me what is wrong here.  I did not get a xastir
>> executable in /usr/local/bin.
>> make[3]: Entering directory `/home/jjolin/xastir/xastir-1.9.5/src'
>> gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I..   -I/usr/local/include
>> -I/usr/include/ImageMagick -DXASTIR_DATA_BASE=\"/usr/local/share/xastir
>> \"  -g -O2 -pipe -W -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes
>> -Wno-unused-parameter -pthread -MT map_geo.o -MD -MP
>> -MF .deps/map_geo.Tpo -c -o map_geo.o map_geo.c
>> map_geo.c: In function ???draw_geo_image_map???:
>> map_geo.c:1865: error: too few arguments to function ???GetOnePixel???
>>

> There is exactly one usage of GetOnePixel in map_geo.c, and it was commented
> out months ago (in November 2008, in fact) --- the variable filled by the call
> was never actually being used, and ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick broke the API
> again for that call.  Since the call was actually not doing anything, commenting
> it out fixed the problem.  The breakage happened when ImageMagick 6.4.5 was
> released.
>

> >From the commit log:
>
> ----------------------------
> revision 1.96
> date: 2008/11/12 23:26:14;  author: tvrusso;  state: Exp;  lines: +4 -4
> Comment out the use of GetOnePixel and the variable it assigns to.
>
> This is for two reasons:
>
>  1) F*!#*ng ImageMagick has broken its API yet again with version 6.4.5,
>     making GetOnePixel no longer compatible with usage prior to 6.4.4
>  2) map_geo.c does this:
>       PixelPacket target;
>       target=GetOnePixel(image,0,0)
>     after which it does NOTHING with the pixel so retrieved.  So commenting
>     out this useless line is less work than what I had started doing,
>     which was hacking the configure detection of ImageMagick to distinguish
>     between pre-6.4.5 and post-6.4.5, and coding around this garbage.
>
> I Hate ImageMagick.
> ----------------------------
>
> Looks like we have not had a development snapshot since October 2008, so that
> means that our development tarball is in fact broken with recent ImageMagick
> releases.
>
> To fix it quickly, go ahead and use anonymous CVS to get the current source
> tree instead of the tarball.  Or downgrade to ImageMagick 6.4.4, which had the
> old GetOnePixel calling sequence.
>
> We ought to release a new development snapshot, too.

Tom,.
Tnx for the info.  I usually don't use development releases, but I was
feeling adventurous.  I usually don't use Imagemagick so that makes two
mistakes I made.  Have yet to use cvs, but this is probably a good time
to start.
I kind of wondered why a development release was dated October 2008.
Jim