[Xastir] pos file

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri May 22 12:42:54 EDT 2009

Doc on overlays:

   http://www.aprs.net/vm/DOS/OVERLAYS.HTM

Useful text there:

"THese files must be placed in your APRSPOS directory. You can make
these POS files for your own area limited only by your imagination.
A file of all VOICE repeaters is important for the traveler. Use the
freq as the callsign so that it shows on the map. Or you can make a
.POS file of all your club members so that you can visualize your
net.

FORMAT: The format is simple. Each line consists of a NAME up to 9
characters (variable length) followed by the normal FIXED station
APRS position format beginnning with an exclaimation point. You MUST
also add a single line descriptive comment at the beginning that
will be displayed to the user when he executes the OVERLAY command.
If you omit this first line, then the first line of data will be
used as the comment line and it will not be plotted... Have fun!

BUILDING FILES: THis is easy. Just use APRS. Use the INPUT-ADD
command to add as many objects to the map as you want. When you are
finished, do a FILE-SAVE. Then load the file into a text editor and
delete all of the date/times between the end of the object name and
the beginning of the latitude. Replace all this with just the
exclaimation point (!). Then save the file as a .POS file in your
.POS directory."

It would be VERY easy to convert these to either 1) log files that
we can suck into Xastir, 2) something that can replace the
object.log file, or 3) GNIS-format map files.

Of course we could always add another map module for POS files which
would be a better long-term solution.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer