[Xastir] POS file conversion to Map vs. Object.log

Keith Kaiser wa0tjt at gmail.com
Sun May 31 18:48:19 EDT 2009

After working the bike ride today, all day as a rover I've come to the
conclusion that converting a UiView pos file to an object.log for use
in Xastir is a better choice than making it a map file.

1) With it as a log file you can click on it and refer to the 'Station
Info' where you can keep the street address and other information.
2) With a map you can have it show or hide based on zoom level. But
the truth is you seldom look at a bike route at levels you want to
drop off parts any way. Usually you're running down the street at zoom
level 10 or below. So only one or two points show anyway.
3) The Object log loads nearly instantly while any map no matter how
small take a while.
4) A variety of meaningful symbols are available with the object log,
and they can be changed easily.

I used both during the day today, but the only one that I found to be
actually useful was the object.log file (name aside). So could I ask
someone to write a pos2log Perl script, I know I would use it more.

Thanks guys.

Of course everybody's mileage will vary.

73's
Keith Kaiser
wa0tjt at gmail.com